Monday, November 7, 2011

10 Best Movies [Or Movie Series] of my Lifetime - Movie 1

Here is the first installment of a new blog series called: THE 10 BEST MOVIES [OR MOVIE SERIES] OF MY LIFETIME !!!! Movies are a personal passion of mine; I simply love watching good movies. Let me reiterate that: I love watching GooD movies. Not just "okay" movies. Not, "Oh my God, what kind of crap was that?" movies. And not movies like the latest "Abduction" movie that served simply to mark the end of a career of one of Hollywood's LESS talented "vampire" stars. So, with that out of the way, let's see what the ten best movies [or movie series] of my lifetime are - not listed in any particular order.


MOVIE # 1
Armageddon & Deep Impact







That's right! One of the 10 best movies is Armageddon with Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Billy Bob Thorton and Liv Tyler. I would also like to include Armageddon's unofficial prequel: Deep Impact [which was released two months earlier than Armageddon was]. I think I watched these two movies in reverse order, though. ;-)

Here is the trailer for Deep Impact.






These two movies are, as far as I'm concerned, CLASSICS. Deep Impact starred Morgan Freedman, Tea Leoni, Elijah Wood and Leelee Sobieski [who I loved in Joan of Arc].

Both movies are, of course, about an asteroid hitting the earth. Deep Impact focuses on two split plots: a crew flying into space to defeat the evil comet while a family, particularly a young boy finds love, his world almost destroyed and a third sub-story about a reporter who - well - dies. Armageddon spends little time with the people on earth, but focuses on the heroic adventures of the crew as they try to battle the comet, eventually losing the star of the show so he could secure the "next generation" on earth [i.e. his daughter and co-hero played by Affleck].

I remember watching Armageddon for the very first time in a cabin on the Oregon coast. It was the middle of winter, freezing cold, and I had just made it back from town before the rain had hit. The cabin was not insulated, so after popping myself some popcorn, I bundled up with blankets and a couple sleeping bags. Back then we only had VHS, and I had rented [yep, you've heard of video rental stores, right?] Armageddon at the Bait and Tackle Shop in town. It was the best movie in the world! Absolutely. Good times. Good times.

I don't really remember watching Deep Impact for the first time. I know I must have watched it at some point. It is just as good as the other. I have both movies now as .mp4 files on my computer external drive, ready to be watched at a moment's notice. After all, they are part of the 10 Best Movies [or Movie Series] of my Lifetime. Maybe you should watch them tonight....

Stay tuned for my next installment..I think you're going to love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment